Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Interview: Ed Moran, professional runner



Author’s note:  I decided to interview “stars” of local running, so that I might share what I learn a bit from them, and to share that with our fellow runners.  This month, I’ve interviewed one of our areas all-time greats.  Ed Moran recently moved to Northern Virginia, but his William & Mary roots will doubtless see him visit us again.  Daniel A. Shaye, DC


RD (Running Dog):  What's the best performance you've had in the past 3 years (distance & time)?
EM:  Track:  13:20.25 5K, 27:43.13 10K.  Road:  28:19 10K (US 10K Champion), Marathon  2:11:46

RD:  What excites and motivates you to train? To race? To seek PR's? To win?
EM:  All three motivate me.  I train and race because I want to test the limits of my potential.  I strive to push the envelope and achieve results that at one time I thought were impossible. 

RD:  How many miles per week do you typically run?
EM:  My mileage fluctuates throughout the season and is dependent on which event/s I’m training for – 3K, 5K, 10K, or marathon.  My “in-season” mileage totals can range anywhere between 65 and 130 miles per week.

RD:  How long was your longest run last year?
EM:  Not counting the marathon, my longest run was a ~ 25 mile (2:25) training run.

RD:  How many times do you race each year?
EM:  Traditionally, I race 10-12 times a year.

RD:  Do you do speed work? If so, how often?
EM:  The amount of “speed work” I do depends on which event/s I’m training for and where I am within a training cycle.  While training for the 5/10K, I do what I would classify as “speed work,” on average, every 6-8 workout sessions, with these sessions being weighted towards the end of a cycle.  Besides “speed work,” I do strides twice a week to maintain fast twitch muscle recruitment and to preserve muscle/soft tissue elasticity.

RD:  Do you work on your form?
EM:  Form work- walking and running drills- is great for developing greater strength, flexibility, and alance.  Working on your form not only makes you a more efficient runner, it helps with maintaining good posture and mechanics late in races, when you start to fatigue.

RD:  Do you take a rest day (day off from running)?
EM:  In the past, I took a day totally off every week.  Now I take a day off about every two weeks.  During that day off, I usually go out for a bike ride, unless I’m really banged up.

RD:  Do you stretch? If so, how often and for how long?  Do you feel it makes a difference, one way or another?  How important is flexibility to your ability to perform?
EM:  Honestly, I don’t stretch often.  I stretch if I have an issue (i.e. tendonitis), but for the most part rely on drills to maintain dynamic flexibility.

RD:  If you lift weights (resistance exercise), how often? Do you ever do resistance training for your legs, or just upper body/core?
EM:  I no longer lift weights.

RD:  Do you cross train? If so, how often? Doing what?
EM:  I cross train on my days off, if I’m injured, or when I need a mental break from running.  Biking is my preferred cross training activity.

RD:  Do you train solo, or with others? What effects-- either positive or negative-- do your training partners (or lack thereof) have on your progression?
EM:  I train by myself.  For me I think training alone is the ideal training situation.  Training alone forces me to remain mentally tough and focused.  Also, training alone ensures I don’t run beyond my current fitness, increasing injury risk.

RD:  How important is sleep/rest to your routine?  Do you nap?
EM:  I can’t stress the importance of adequate sleep for effective training enough.  Without adequate sleep, your body can’t recover and adapt to the stresses of training.  I sleep 8-10 hours every night and take a nap during the more intense phases of my training cycles.

RD:  What action do you take when you feel a soreness or impending injury?
EM:  It really depends on the location and intensity of the soreness.   Over the years, I’ve learned which aches and pains I can run through and which ones I can’t mess with.

RD:  Have you been injured (unable to run) in the past year? If so, approximately how many days of running did you lose? What did you learn from the experience(s), i.e. what advice would you give?
EM:  I suffered two injuries that forced me to take time off.  The first injury, which occurred in the spring, forced me to take off about 3 weeks.  The second injury, which I suffered in August, forced me to take off 7-10 days.  All I can suggest is listen to your body and don’t try to intensify your training too quickly.  Though it’s OK to be a calculated risk taker with your training, it’s not wise to be greedy and overly aggressive.

RD:  What's the worst/most embarrassing mistake or error you've made before, during, or after a race?
EM:  The most regrettable mistake I made during a race occurred during the 2008 Olympic Trials 10,000m final.  Around the 5K point, I allowed a gap to form between myself and the top three.  I over-estimated my ability to close and missed making the Olympic Team by one place.

RD:  Do you set goals for the year? How do you set goals? How important is having goals and milestones to your success?
EM:  I do set yearly goals.  I usually come up with tiered goals and discuss them with my coach early in the year.  I try to develop a list of goals with different levels of difficulty and duration, so I possess a roadmap for future success.  Though my goal setting is not really a formal process, I believe it’s an incredible important exercise.  Having goals, especially “publicly stated goals, help keep you motivated and provide checkpoints on your progress.   

RD:  What's the single greatest thing holding you back from the next level of fitness/competition?
EM:  If I could figure this out it wouldn’t be holding me back.  But seriously, I would say injuries are the greatest things that hold me back.  Once or twice a year I’m faced with an injury that slows my progression.   

Watch for Ed to challenge again for top 10 (or better) at the 2012 ING New York City Marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment