Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Use Your Exercise to Contribute to Charities

My name is Chris Eckols and I am new to the area. In June 2008, I reported to the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, CA. At the time, I was a little overweight and not active. I sold my car and decided to make a change for myself by commuting strictly by bicycle for my entire 18-month tour. Somewhere after about 3 months of commuting by bike, I decided to run a marathon. I signed up for the Big Sur International Marathon for April 2009. I completed Big Sur in 4:05. Since then, I have run various 5k/10k races and most recently did the Big Sur 1/2 in November with a 1:40. I've logged about 500 miles running and about 2000 miles cycling since starting.

I would like to introduce the Colonial Road Runners to a website called www.Plus3network.com. The Plus3 network allows runners (and all athletes) the ability to have their exercise translate into charitable donations through a variety of sponsors. Sponsors include Runners Warehouse, Zappos, and others. Benefactors include The Leukemia Lymphoma Society, The Breast Cancer Fund, Environmental Defense Fund, and others.

First, let me state that I am spreading Plus3 because it was a great motivator for me while I was in Monterey, Ca for my last tour. The story of Plus3 began in 2007 when Rick, Jon, and Steve -- three of the guys who formed a sports marketing company named GaleForce in the early 1990's -- had an idea to create a bicycling-rewards program to encourage people to ride more and get out of their cars . Rick called up a guy named Joe, who was working in the cell phone world and had worked with Rick, to share The Idea. The three sports-biz-guys plus one-tech-guy team shaped The Idea into a global vision that includes gadgets and the Internet to build a system that motivates healthy lifestyles by collecting exercise activities and, with the financial support of Sponsors, Plus 3 puts a value on it -- literally turning "sweat equity into social capital." Joe introduced himself and Plus3network to the Naval Postgraduate School bicycling club in October 2008.

Essentially, participants (like me) register, chose a sponsor and cause, and then simply log activities. For example, my sponsor is Ritchy (bicycle component manufacturer) and my cause is "Trips for Kids" which provides outreach to at risk youth through cycling. Each time I log an activity, a donation is made by Ritchy to Trips for Kids. Monday morning, I logged a 10.25 mile run around Queens Lake and $1.85 was donated on my behalf. Each activity is worth different amounts, some based on mileage and others by time. To date, I have had $135.17 donated on my behalf.

Currently, Plus3 is predominantly known in Central California where it was founded but my goal is to spread the word to Williamsburg where there is such a huge fitness community. The potential for Plus3 and groups like CRR is immense. If you would, please take a few minutes to look at Plus3. Click on the "People" tab and see who you might know. Look up my name and you will have a great idea about the program. Imagine what it can do when organized groups get involved. There is no cost to participants and to date, Plus3 members have collectively raised over $71,000 for various charities.

I appreciate your time and interest in Plus3. You can see me on the track at Walsingham with my wife Leisa beginning Wednesday afternoon. Looking forward to meeting the group and answering any questions that you might have.


Chris Eckols
cweckols@me.com
www.Plus3network.com
Making it Count

No comments:

Post a Comment